Birdwood House Trust History
Birdwood House, which is adjacent to the Market Square of Totnes High Street, is a Listed Building dating back to the late 16th century. Over the years it has been the scene of many changes from being a house built by one of the Totnes merchants to being The Commercial Hotel. At some point the upper floors were extended forward over the pavement to form the town's poultry market and this space is still used as part of the Totnes market scene.
In 1957 the Birdwood House Trust was formed to provide accomodation for various educational and community activities and, in 2005, a major refurbishment project was carried out to form The Gallery at Birdwood House along with improved accommodation for the other users.
By Charles White